Monday, March 10, 2008

Finding a Place in the Baptist Family


A few of weeks ago I joined more than 15,000 Baptists from across North America at the New Baptist Covenant Celebration in Atlanta. As you might imagine, I have been to a lot of Baptist meetings in my lifetime. Without hesitation I can say the New Baptist Covenant Celebration was one of the best meetings I have ever attended. Baptists from approximately 40 Baptist bodies and conventions participated in one of the most diverse and inspiring gathering in the history of Baptist life in North America. Already many are exploring ways they can build a new level of partnership and collaboration as we serve Christ together. The Baptist General Convention of Missouri is exploring ways we might build a similar coalition among all types of Baptists in the Midwest.

I believe the Baptist family and the larger Christian community is stronger when we collaborate and partner for the sake of the Kingdom. We miss a great deal when we isolate ourselves from our brothers and sisters in Christ. I am excited by the opportunity this new movement provides to get better acquainted with Baptists as we serve together.

No comments: