Saturday, March 15, 2008

Personal Involvement Makes a Big Difference

While I was in Atlanta this week for the follow-up meeting regarding the New Baptist Covenant, I had the opportunity to personally thank Jimmy Carter for his testimony on the closing night of the New Baptist Covenant Celebration. If you did not have the opportunity hear him, I would encourage you to view the video at the The New Baptist Covenant site. He described his experiences in "pioneer missions" in the 1960's. It was a powerful and revealing testimony.

Early in my ministry my father offered some advice for dealing with discouragement. He said, Jim, Whenever you feel discouraged about your ministry, I would encourage you to get out of your office and away from administrative tasks. Go visit someone who is sick or in the hospital. Find someone in need and help them. Look for someone who does not know Christ and share the Good News of Jesus with them. It will help you gain a new perspective on your ministry. I have discovered many times during the course of my ministry that Dad was right. His advice was essentially the same advice that Jimmy Carter's evangelist sister gave him. His testimony indicated that God used his experiences to change is life and restore is faith.

No comments: